Juicy garlicky prawns with peppers is a quick & delicious way to enjoy prawns, the small pockets of flavor and nutrition. Cook these garlic prawns with peppers as an appetizer or side dish and transform your dinner into a hearty meal tonight. This recipe is so ridiculously easy, yet adds a festive and elegant aura to your weeknight dinner.
Bell peppers not only look bright and colourful but are also nutrient-rich. Exceptionally rich in vitamin C, bell peppers are also loaded with vitamins E, A, K1, B6, folate and potassium making them a rich source of various antioxidants responsible for heart health, bone health, healthy eyes, nerves and muscles. Bell pepper is a decent source of iron, and its high vitamin C content aids in better absorption of iron, cutting the risk of anaemia. A regular diet which includes bell peppers also reduces the risk of chronic illnesses.
I would like to share an incident which I remember whenever I cook these garlic prawns. The other day a couple of unexpected guests landed up when I was preparing to cook this dish. I did not have enough prawns for everyone, so being the resourceful person that I am, (in other words, too lazy to change the menu) added some extra peppers to make up for the prawns. I first served the guests most of the prawns, which left mostly peppers for us. That made us rename the dish as garlic peppers!
This garlic prawn recipe requires just 5 ingredients apart from prawns and bell peppers. Since prawns are naturally bursting with flavor, you don’t need much seasoning. And they cook very fast. Easy to cook and soooo delicious to eat. Have you ever felt that some of the easiest recipes are the best? I get it. Absolutely.
Prepare the marinade with crushed garlic, chili powder and salt. Marinate the prawns in the refrigerator for a minimum of 20 minutes.
Saute the marinated prawns in oil for 5 minutes, then cook covered for another 5 minutes. Add the peppers and onions and saute for 5 more minutes. Garnish with finely chopped green onions. Done!
Or click here for an amazing baked cheesy tiger prawn recipe.
Do you want to impress your guests with a restaurant-quality prawn dish? Try the restaurant-style breaded prawns.
Recipe for garlic prawns with bell peppers
yield: 3 servings
- Prawns – 500 grams
- garlic – 4 cloves, minced
- chili powder – 1 tsp
- salt to taste
- bell peppers – 1/2 each of green, red and yellow, diced
- onions – 2 large, diced
- spring onion – a few sprigs of the green part, finely sliced
- oil – 2 tsp
- Prepare the marinade by mixing the minced garlic, chili powder and salt.
- Clean and devein the prawns.
- Marinate and refrigerate the prawns for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the marinated prawns, saute for 5 minutes.
- Keep covered and cook for another 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the bell peppers and onions, cook for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with spring onions.
- Timing is everything in this recipe. Take care not to overcook the prawns.
- The bell peppers and onions should be crunchy.
- A splash of lemon juice may be added if you like the garlic prawns a little zesty.
- This recipe takes just 15 minutes to cook. However, the texture of the prawns, onions and bell peppers should be maintained to get the desired result – a crunch and punch in every bite!
Some easy fish recipes you might like
What are the prawn recipes you have tried? Do you have any suggestions or variations to this recipe? Please share: