The vibrant bell peppers with their characteristic crunch and flavor are one of the most versatile vegetables. A staple in my kitchen, bell pepper can be used in salads, soups, fried rice, tikka, pureed in curries or just roasted, the list is endless. And now I want to add sauce to this list. This sauce can be eaten with dosa or used as a sandwich spread or dip.
Health Benefits of bell peppers
- The nutrient capsaicin and antioxidants make it heart-healthy as it reduces bad cholesterol and hence the risk of obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease.
- High amounts of vitamin C improves immunity and supports tissue health and youthful skin.
- The vitamins E, A, and carotenoids are responsible for healthy skin, hair and eyes.
- Vitamin B6 promotes a healthy nervous system and mood balance.
- Folate supports the functioning of red blood cells.
- Vitamin K is anti-inflammatory and relieves chronic pain.
- The high amount of potassium enhances muscle function and regulates blood pressure.
The nutritive value of this recipe is enhanced by the protein-rich lentils and the high-fiber coconut. The sweet bell pepper, tangy tamarind, and spicy chilies give this sauce a unique flavor.
Now for the recipe:
- Bell peppers- 2 (any color is fine, I used red as it is more nutritious and gives a nice reddish tint to the sauce)
- dried red chilies- 3
- split chickpeas- 1 tablespoon
- split and dehusked black lentils- 1 tablespoon
- oil- 2 teaspoons
- ginger- 1-inch piece
- grated coconut- 1 tablespoon
- tamarind- a small piece (about 1/2 the size of the ginger)
- Chop the bell peppers into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan and roast the chilies and lentils until the lentils are browned.
- Add the bell pepper cubes and saute for 5 minutes.
- Cool the mixture and blend along with the tamarind, ginger, coconut, salt and 1 tablespoon of water.
Do try this recipe and let me know if you liked it.