Wraps are a great way to put together a wholesome, nutrient-dense meal. Cottage cheese is extremely versatile and can be used in salads, snacks, pancakes, soups, dips, stews, and curries. And what’s tastier and super healthier than the combination of cottage cheese and mushrooms complementing each other in a wholemeal wrap? Add to that the tangy mango spread resulting in a taste that is divine! This is one signature recipe which can prove all by itself that healthy food is tasty.
Health benefits of cottage cheese
- low-calorie source of protein which aids in weight-loss.
- rich in calcium and Vitamin D, promoting strong bones.
- potential source of probiotics which boosts gut health.
- great source of B-complex vitamins which improves heart health, metabolic and brain functions.
- rich in phosphorus which aids in digestion.
- rich in antioxidants reducing the risk of cancer.
- good source of magnesium and potassium which help maintain blood sugar levels and relieve anxiety and stress.
Moving on to the recipe-
- wholemeal wraps- 4
For the filling
- Cottage cheese- 300 grams (made from low-fat milk), cubed
- white button mushrooms- 250 grams, quartered
- tomatoes- 2, pureed
- red chili paste- 2 teaspoons (make it 1 if you want it less spicy)
- spring onion (leaves only)- 1/2 cup, chopped
- cooking oil- 2 teaspoons
For the mango spread
- raw mango- 1 big (or 2 small ones), chopped into 1-inch cube
- water- 1/2 cup
- sugar/jaggery- 1 tablespoon
- chili powder/ chili paste- 1/2 teaspoon
- salt- 1/4 teaspoon
- Heat the oil in a pan and saute the mushrooms.
- After about 10 minutes add the chili paste, tomato puree, and salt.
- Mix well and cook closed until the mixture starts sticking to the pan.
- Add cottage cheese, mix well and switch off the flame.
- For the mango spread, cook the mango cubes in water (covered) along with chili paste and salt until they turn soft but not mushy.
- Add sugar/jaggery and heat until it dissolves and the mixture thickens.
- Let the mixture cool; it should have the exact consistency of a fruit jam.
- Cook the wraps according to package instructions.
- Spread 2 teaspoons of the mango spread on each wrap.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the filling and sprinkle spring onion leaves.
- Wrap tightly and cut each wrap into half.
- The mango spread tastes more delicious when it has small chunks of mango pieces so don’t mash them completely.
- Jaggery gives a unique taste to the spread and is a healthier option too.
- The chili powder in the mango spread can be skipped if you want just a sweet and sour spread.
- Cottage cheese can be made at home- curdle low-fat milk with lime and strain using a cheesecloth and press out the whey to get a firm cheese.
Do write to me if you like the recipe and if you want more recipes with cottage cheese.