The impressive health advantages and a naturally low glycemic index rating of coconut and coconut oil tempted me to put together this salad recipe that brings out the flavours of coconut along with complementing flavours and colours of guava, crunchy pomegranate, cucumber and palm sugar with its mild caramel flavour. A culinary delight that is nutritious and a feast for the eyes, too!
Some of the health benefits of coconut and coconut oil-
- Coconut, due to its strong antioxidant properties increases metabolism and fights infections.
- Coconut is anti-viral, antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-parasite.
- Provides a natural source of quick energy and enhances physical and athletic performance.
- Improves digestion and absorption of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
- Stabilizes glucose levels by improving insulin secretion.
- Improves good cholesterol (HDL) thus supporting heart health.
- Supports thyroid function.
- Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infection
- Promotes weight loss due to its high fibre content and also reduces belly fat.
- Helps keep hair and skin healthy and youthful looking, preventing wrinkles and sagging skin.
Health benefits of palm sugar-
- Palm sugar is an unrefined sugar which requires minimal processing.
- Known to be rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Contains phytonutrients, flavonoids, antioxidants and dietary fibre.
- Palm sugar is gaining popularity due to its low glycemic index, (even lesser than honey) which means it is slowly absorbed by the body, preventing a spike in blood glucose levels.
Moving on to the recipe-
- guava – 2 medium-sized, cubed
- pomegranate – 1, seeds extracted
- cucumber – 1, cubed
- coconut meat – cut into thin, 1-inch long strips
- extra virgin coconut oil – 3 teaspoons
- palm sugar – 2 teaspoons
- pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
- lime juice – 1/2 teaspoon
Mix together all ingredients in a salad bowl and serve immediately! Quick and easy, isn’t it?
Do you want me to create salad recipes with any of your favourite ingredients? Please let me know in the comments section below: