A quick and easy recipe, this nutritious boiled spinach of pop-eye fame has multiple nutrients packed in it and takes less than 20 minutes to prepare. Add to that, protein-rich lentils and you have a perfectly healthy accompaniment to rice, bread or naan, which keeps you full and satiated for long.
Given its health benefits such as 15 different vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytochemicals and rated as one of the most protein-rich vegetables, spinach can help improve your overall health and fitness levels, including heart, bone, muscle, blood, hair, skin, eye and gut health. In short, it is a superfood loaded with goodness for every part of your body!
Did you know these fun facts about spinach?
- March 26th is National Spinach Day.
- The spinach growing town of Crystal City, Texas, erected a statue of Popeye in 1937.
- In the 1930’s U.S. spinach growers credited Popeye with a 33% increase in domestic spinach consumption.
- Medieval artists extracted green pigment from spinach to use as an ink or paint.
- Cooking spinach increases its health benefits.
- Spinach can reduce hunger and cravings.
- Spinach is best eaten boiled since boiling gets rid of oxalic acid which is linked to kidney stones.
- During World War I, spinach juice was added to wine and given to soldiers who had been injured, because spinach pumps up production of blood.
- Pink (or yellow) lentils – 1/2 cup
- spinach – 1 bundle, cleaned and chopped
- onions – 2, medium size, finely chopped
- tomatoes – 2, finely chopped
- garlic – 4 cloves, finely chopped
- green chilli – 1, slit lengthwise
For the garnish
- oil – 1 teaspoon
- mustard – 1 teaspoon
- cumin – 1 teaspoon
- dry red chili – 1
- curry leaves – a few
- salt and pepper
- Mix all the listed ingredients in a pressure cooker with 1 cup of water and cook on high heat until it whistles, then on low flame for 5 minutes (10 minutes if you use yellow lentils).
- Let it stand until the pressure gets released, then add salt and pepper and mix until all ingredients are mashed and combined well.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Prepare the garnish by heating oil in a small pan and adding mustard, then after it splits add the other ingredients, mix for 2 minutes and take off the heat.
- Add the garnish and enjoy!
A word of caution: See to it that you don’t bite into the green chili if you are a person who can’t take the heat!
Please write to me (in the comments section below) if you like this recipe and if you want me to introduce more spinach recipes.