Hello, rice lovers! Why is it that eating rice has become so difficult these days with all that health talk going on about rice being the “villain” of a healthy diet? It’s the type of rice and the quantity you eat that matters. With this red rice recipe, you can have your favorite fried rice and eat it too!
Does the citrusy, refreshing flavor of lemongrass make you wonder why it should be called a “grass” at all? Yes, sounds quite demeaning. Well, my love for the Thai herbs –lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves has transformed into this flavourful fried rice recipe with red rice and some veggies thrown in, with egg as an option.
Simple, quick, delicious and healthy, the stir-fried red rice is ideal for a weekday lunchbox or a weeknight dinner that keeps you full and satiated for long. Combine this stir-fried red rice with Green mango salad and Quick and easy soy chicken for a wholesome meal.
This healthy recipe combines the fibre-rich and nutrient-rich red rice with vegetables and Thai flavors of lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves to bring together a delicious fried rice that doesn’t even need a side dish for vegetarians.
Some health benefits of red rice
- The red rice gets its rich color from an antioxidant called anthocyanins, that can reduce inflammation, allergy, prevent risks of cancer and help in weight management.
- manganese helps in strengthening metabolism.
- magnesium helps in controlling migraine, lowers blood pressure as well as risks of heart attacks.
- calcium helps in maintaining healthy bones and teeth and prevents risks of arthritis and osteoporosis.
- Selenium protects the body against infections.
- high fiber content slows down the digestion process which leads to a strengthened digestive system.
- fiber also aids in slowing down the rate at which carbs are converted into blood sugar, making red rice one of the foods with a low glycemic index.
Now, go ahead. Eat your stir-fried red rice without an ounce of guilt.
Asian stir-fried chicken with red rice and red beans is another stir-fried red rice recipe you might love.
In search of brown rice recipes? See
Looking for a low-carb rice/ keto option? Try these:
Stir-fried Red rice with Thai flavors
Simple, delicious and healthy stir-fried red rice with Thai flavors of lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves, ideal for a weekday lunchbox or a weeknight dinner that keeps you full and satiated for long.
- 1 cup red rice
- water or stock to cook rice (may vary depending on the type of rice and cooking method. I used Thai unpolished red rice and electric rice cooker)
- 1 carrot grated
- 1/2 cup green peas frozen or fresh
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 3 stalks lemongrass
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs optional, can be skipped for a vegan recipe
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- The red rice needs to be thoroughly cooled, else it may become sticky.
- While stir-frying, the rice has to be added before the eggs get fully cooked, so that the eggs combine well with the rice.