When eating healthy becomes a priority, we’ll always be looking for ways to replace unhealthy ingredients in traditional dishes with healthier ones. I love these healthy versions of “creamy” soups not only for their texture and taste but also for the fact that by doing away with the cream, it also gives an opportunity to add healthy alternatives and hence, more nutrition. A filling and comforting meal, especially on a cold winter night this cabbage soup has great potential for weight loss!
Ingredients (4 servings)
cabbage, chopped and loosely packed- 5 cups
potato – 1 medium, chopped
celery – 2 stalks, sliced
onion – 1, chopped
garlic – 3 pods, chopped
cashews – 2 tablespoons
low-fat milk – 1/2 cup (cashew milk for a vegan recipe)
butter – 2 teaspoons (olive oil for a vegan recipe)
dried rosemary – 1/2 teaspoon
dried oregano – 1/2 teaspoon
salt and pepper
water/stock – 2 cups
cilantro – roughly chopped, 1/4 cup
garlic croutons – 1/2 cup
- Heat butter/oil over medium heat in a heavy soup pot, add onions and garlic, stirring until soft for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, potato, celery and cashews, stir for 5 minutes.
- Add water or stock and the dried herbs, cook covered until the vegetables are tender, for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool the mixture and process using a blender until smooth.
- Transfer back to the pot, add milk, salt and pepper and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add more stock or water if necessary, until you get the desired consistency.
- Top with cilantro and garlic croutons.
See here for cream of asparagus soup recipe(without the cream, of course).