Wraps are fun to make and also eat, so versatile that you can have thousands of delicious combinations. It gets all the more interesting when it has a healthy twist, like these lettuce wraps with pasta salad and mint yogurt sauce where you use lettuce for wrapping and salad as a filling, thereby increasing its nutritive and fibre content. A mint-yoghurt sauce drizzled on top is a visual treat that will get your family and guests drooling! It gets more interesting when you realise that these awesome wraps can be put together with any left-over salad and roasted chicken.
Apart from being delicious, the lettuce wraps with pasta salad and mint yogurt sauce are colourful, healthy, full of flavours, what more do you need from a dish? It is a perfect dish for entertaining (thus showing off your culinary and presentation skills without sweating it out) especially for your little ones’ birthday parties. Yes, it might turn out a little messy when you’re trying to eat it, but your family and guests will forgive and forget the moment they take the first bite!
The secret to getting the best out of this recipe, as in any other salad recipe, is nothing but to choose fresh and good quality ingredients. (click here for some tips on grocery shopping) The rest, you can manipulate according to whoever is going to eat. This recipe can easily be multiplied to serve many people.
Recipe for lettuce wraps with pasta salad and mint yogurt sauce
Ingredients (for 4 wraps)
- Pasta salad and mint-yoghurt sauce (Click here for the recipe)
- Romaine lettuce – a big sized head with leaves intact (for this recipe, you just need 4 leaves)
- chicken breast – 1 large
- oil – 1 tablespoon
- chilli flakes – 1/4 teaspoon (optional)
- lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean the chicken breasts, tenderise (if you don’t own a tenderiser, use the bottom of a heavy bowl) and marinate with chilli flakes, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pan and sear the chicken breasts.
To get perfectly tender, juicy chicken breasts:
- Place the chicken breast in a frying pan with 1 tablespoon of hot oil, cook closed for 10 minutes on medium heat then open and turn, cook closed for another 10 minutes and turn off the heat without opening. Let it stand for 5 minutes. Open and drain the chicken on paper towels. Slice the chicken breast into 4 equal pieces. Your tender juicy chicken breast pieces are ready to be devoured. But not before you assemble them into the wraps!
- Carefully separate 4 big leaves from the lettuce head, wash and dry on paper towels. Arrange them in a row on a serving platter or board. Sprinkle some lemon juice, salt and pepper on the lettuce leaves and place the pasta salad, as much as each leaf can hold.
- Place one chicken piece on each wrap.
- Drizzle the sauce over the wraps and serve.
For a vegetarian version of the lettuce wraps with pasta salad and mint yogurt sauce, just skip the chicken breasts. So get ready to amaze your guests, no matter if they are vegetarian or otherwise!