Tiger prawns have a buttery aftertaste that lingers in your mouth, making it an unforgettable culinary experience if cooked the right way. These jumbo prawns are naturally succulent and juicy, making it a great ingredient in a baked dish. This recipe combines the tiger prawns with tomatoes and cheddar making it even juicier and more delicious. As you can see, you don’t even need much cheese to get that creamy experience.
Prawns are good sources of protein, healthy (omega-3) fats and many vitamins and minerals, like the B-vitamins, iron, phosporus, zinc and selenium, yet are low in calories. However, they contain a high amount of cholesterol and should be consumed in moderation.
These simple and delicious cheesy tiger prawns can be prepared within minutes which makes it ideal as an appetizer for a weekend party or can be enjoyed hot and fresh with stir-fried chicken or easy frittata with brown rice on a winter night as a comfort food. The recipe can be easily multiplied for any number of people. This dish is quite versatile, you can make it spicier or cheesier according to your preference. The secret to the explosive flavor is the cilantro-tomato combination, apart from the tiger prawns, of course.
Onto the recipe now -(serves 3 as an appetizer)
- 10 tiger prawns
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 dry red chili or 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro stalks, chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese
- salt to taste
- Remove head and claws from the prawns, keeping the shells and tails intact. Devein and wash. Cut slits along the length of the prawns on the inner side, from head to tail.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, saute the chili/flakes and onions for about 3 minutes, then add the tomatoes. Simmer until the tomatoes turn mushy for about 10 minutes. Cool the mixture and blend into a paste along with the cilantro stalks.
- Butter an oven-proof dish and spread out the prawns in a single layer. Cover entirely with the tomato paste as seen in the picture. Sprinkle cheddar cheese and cilantro on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Serve immediately.